Skip to main content

Blood Orange Smoothie Recipe

There's no shame in having an addiction to blood oranges. They're unique, pretty and taste so good. But when Alex nonchalantly (and yet filed playful determination) reminds me of the army of fruit taking over our refrigerator, I realize it's probably time to get creative with the citrus. So I did a little Googling and after a little bit became a lot, I decided to head over to Martha Stewart's because she might have a recipe or two. As it turns out, she had thirteen. Overwhelmed with options, I guess those delicious thirteen will save for another day because in the process of food searching, I started craving our (simple) homemade smoothie recipe instead. Go figure. 

There are no rules and a lot of flexibility in this recipe. If you prefer a tangier smoothie flavor, toss in another slice of lemon. If you have a sweet tooth, try one of these options... extra strawberries, 2 tbps of honey or even a tbsp of raw sugar. Make sure to wash all fruit prior to blending. 

1 cup ice 
3 small strawberries, hulled 
2 thin slices of lemon, remove seeds 
Juice from 3 medium blood oranges
1 small banana 
1 pinch of cinnamon

Toss contents into your blender and mix together with complete enthusiasm. Garnish if desired and enjoy!

Comments

Rick Forrestal said…
I love smoothies . . . starts my day every morning.
I shall definitely try this recipe.
So delicious, so beautiful.
Allison said…
This is absolutely gorgeous - I'm in love with blood orange anything, and smoothies, so why not combine the two?!
Your photos are stunning, love. You are so talented!
Dani said…
I LOVE blood oranges. I am literally sitting here eating blood orange froyo as I type this. Actually it's making the keyboard sticky. But it's just SO GOOD! I have to try this smoothie recipe :)

<3 dani
www.shopdisowned.com
http://blog.shopdisowned.com
Rick, Allison & Dani you guys are freakin AWESOME... thank you so much for visiting and leaving me such great comments!!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Carousel Ride

A little storytelling... A modicum of silence swallowed the room as dusty shards of sunlight patterned the multicolored carpet. Decorated with an army of garish jewelry, everything jingles, almost intentionally, as the woman perched behind the large candy counter brushes invisible lint from her blouse. Her silvery hair is the color of cotton candy. She offers a genuine smile before shifting her gaze downcast towards her slender hands. Briefly, she examines their delicate surface that is creviced by time and wiser than yesterday. At four quarters per ride, it was a small price for six minutes of uncontaminated childhood reminiscence to sweep the memory warehouse. And while we kept the company of an epoch 1920’s carousel, 60 handcrafted horses, and funky reindeer, we went round and round, faster and faster… letting it take us to those secret places we almost forgot existed. --Bella H. p.s. In lieu of those who have so thoughtfully given me awards and spotlight features... YOU'RE AM...

In the Dugout

Happy Friday... xxx Vintage faux fur, Jessica Simpson boots, liquid leggings (can't believe I scored these at Target, of all places), misc jewelry (vintage & costume).

Mr. Blazer

They say old habits die hard... as much as this is true for life, it is for fashion as well. And while enjoying the company of a friendly cosmo, apparently this historic blazer found its way into my heart of habits. Unsurprisingly, this craft safari left me wondering… so after pressing through the manuscript workload, I began pressing through the pyramid studs. Because let's face it, Mr. Blazer, somehow bordering the land of bleak, was clearly in dire need of a little revamp. As the night wore on, I began cultivating the now bedecked… a very distant relative to my unadorned jackets. Several sore fingertips later, my creative baptism caused the manifestation of my newest--I don’t know how I survived without you--crush. A casual encounter with a pair of oversized jeans that miraculously prepared them for cuff-divinity, and I couldn’t resist pairing the proverbial androgynous theme with my DIY. The perfect couple, coupled with a strand of Hepburn-worthy pearls, and I had to wonder if...