Skip to main content

Anormalmag Interview

It was an incredible honor to be interviewed by ANORMALMAG! Their team is absolutely wonderful! There are a few translation differences, so I've also posted the interview below... hope you like it!

Bella, when did you first get interested in photography?
It's always been something I found fascinating, but was only until recently that I decided to transform what was seemingly a hobby, into something that resonates.

How much of your grandmother´s influence do you have in your work?
We have very different aesthetics but I take with me the profound memory and persuasion of her gift. It's become the kind of treasure you keep hidden in your pocket and carry with you no matter where you are. As a child I was surrounded by unwavering creativity which has been vastly influential... but there are times when I don't think I truly comprehended the surreality of her art. Looking back, I wish I would've had a greater sense of her diligence and ability.

What´s the most fascinating thing about photography for you?
For me it's really about unearthing and immortalizing what the eye beholds.

How would you describe your style?
I have a difficult time isolating an exact style or creative method simply because it changes with each character I portray in the moment. I've heard some say that it's dark and tends to gravitate towards edgy, while others tell me it captures a romanticism and sensuality. I'd like to think that it's little pieces of each all mingling together.

Who or what inspires you in your personal life and work and what message do you want to communicate in your images?
I definitely find some amount of inspiration in everything, whether it's a melancholic moment between lovers, folklore or the way the sunlight pours in through my window each morning. A typical day for me is fluid with scattering thoughts, concepts, dreams from the night before and a million things I want to achieve.

If I spend too much time concentrating on the message of my work, I find that I quickly become distracted, scrutinize the process, and ultimately lose sight of its purpose. I'm exceptionally self-critical, so I can only hope that the end result will transmit the inner workings of my imagination and let others become a part of the journey.

You have a fantastic portrait portfolio. What do you like about portraying people?
Portraits open soul windows, and there's such a charismatic embrace and expressionism that a flower simple just can't portray.

What kind of process do you go through in setting up and taking your shots?
I feel like the more I work, be it my art or photography, the closer I become to knowing myself. Self-portraiture allows a level of autonomy that I might not experience otherwise, and sometimes I rather enjoy the solitude. There's nothing very alluring about my process that's for sure.

I start with a few basic ideas, toil over them, combine pieces of dreams or memories and then set the scene to the best of my ability. I'm a bit of a planner and over thinker but do have a tendency to stray from and abandon ideas when in the moment.

What has been your most memorable assignment and why?
Any opportunity I'm fortunate enough to receive is rewarding and memorable, but I'm still waiting for the big one!

How important is Photoshop (post processing) in your final images?
Post processing can definitely play a key role in the moodiness of images, but I've also found that too much can spoil what you started with. Back everything up!  I do like to make a few color adjustments, although I have to admit that I've never actually used Photoshop. I currently don't even own any similar software...I'm kinda a fish out of water.

What type of cameras and lens do you shoot with?
That's the big question that everyone wants to know. Right now I'm using a Canon EOS Rebel and toy Holga. Even though I believe it's about your vision and not necessarily your equipment, I'd love to upgrade.

Are you working on any particular projects right now?
I have a few upcoming summer shoots that I'm really getting excited about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cellphone Diary: The morning train station

From STL to KC, May 23-25th. ( Nasty Gal asymm tank dress , Vintage belt, Forever 21 shorts, Dylan George destruction cropped jeans/ Vintage Levi's, Target t-shirts, Express silk and lace jacket, BCBGirls/Miu Miu/Jessica Simpson shoes)

The Body

You can barely see it in the last post , so here's a clearer picture of   what I've been working on in my new art studio... not that it hasn't come with little stop your heart stress moments.   The first time I attempted this piece, now referred to as The Body , was mutually as terrifying as it was exhilarating. It was the first full hand drawing I'd ever attempted, and everything was going smoothly until the moment I decided to incorporate oil paint, also the first in my artwork experiences. My grandmother was an award-winning artist, but now, without her wealth of knowledge and go-to advise, this is really a learning/teach yourself process. The drawing was done and exactly how I wanted it, the hair and tights were painted, and the final stages involved adding skin and the completion of the tattoos.   I didn't go in naively, I understood that it would inevitably boil down to the dynamics of trial and error, so I inhaled deeply and began creating my palette. In re

Designs by Bella: Vintage Lollipops x Magazzini del Sale Capsule Collection

Last year, Italian designer Graziano Moro of Magazzini Del Sale contacted me about collaborating and designing a five-piece Limited Edition capsule collection for their SS 11 Love Can Change the World t-shirt line. Having never been given such an incredibly surreal opportunity before, you can imagine my absolute surprise... followed by some sort of psychotic jubilation. At the time, I'd only been drawing for about a month, which means the designs you're seeing are some of my very first artworks! Brainstorming endless possibilities, the process began with a series of sketches, clipart graphics, and silhouette collages until I further conceptualized the vision by deciding to submit only my illustrations.  After presenting numerous options, Graziano and the team exclusively selected their top picks... and after several months of diligence, reworking, and constant communication, my artwork was transformed into a beautiful line of ecru shirts forever deemed, Vintage Lollipops x M