Skip to main content

In Her Final Hours

Goodbye my baby girl. 

Through and through, no ifs, ands, or buts I'm what you'd call a "Pet Person". My little ones are like my children...sometimes this even includes the neighbor's pets. 

Yesterday I lost my beloved kitty and there is intense pain that accompanies this loss. In her final hours, she appeared frail, unable to walk...diluted and unlike the feisty feline that I'd spent the last 13 years nurturing. A significant and constant part of my life, even in her passing, she fought to stay with me. 

There's a glimpse of comfort in knowing we have deeply loved and cared for her to the very best of our abilities. I'm grateful for all her bossy silent meows and a million scratchy tongue kisses. I'm even grateful for the days when I'm sure she thought I was her maid.

Holding her in my arms one last time, trying to accept her looming death felt like a nightmare but watching her suffer as End Stage Renal Failure submerged her completely was something we could no longer bear. It was insufferable. For months, we went to one vet appointment after another like an unshakable haunting... we went until treatment was no longer beneficial to the quality of her life. We knew our days were limited but it wasn't really about the when or how but rather the overwhelming feeling that she would leave this world having known an immense amount of love. 

I love you, Meemerz.

Comments

Unknown said…
I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s always hard to let go of someone who had been such a huge part of your life...
Jacob said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jacob said…
Dearest Bella, my heart is with your heart in this sadness. I love MiuMiu Meemerz so much. She came into our lives when Poppie died and she helped fill the void his passing left in our hearts because we knew that Poppie took in that tiny feral kitty and loved her when no one else did. And then she was ours and we cared for her and loved her so much. She truly was your little girl and she will always know you loved her dearly and didn't want to let her go. But she is happy and feels no pain or sadness now and will wait for us in our Heaven. There is an empty hole in our hearts but time will help to fill it with the happy memories we have of her. All my love Bella. Momma
Blogoratti said…
So sorry about the loss of your little partner, hopefully you will find strength for today and courage for tomorrow as you remember the fond memories. Hang in there*
Thank you all so much for your kind words... they rest gentle on my heartstrings.
Stephanie said…
I'm so sorry for your loss. :( I'm the same way with my pets -- they're family members. I hope you are strong and know that there is a part of her spirit that is always with you. :)
Unknown said…
This was such a lovely tribute to your kitty.

It's so painful at first, but it does get better.

Zoe-Lee
I miss her terribly.

Your sincere thoughts and warm wishes mean so much to me. I'm just taking it one day at a time, knowing she's always with me.

Much love to you both xox

Popular posts from this blog

Cellphone Diary: The morning train station

From STL to KC, May 23-25th. ( Nasty Gal asymm tank dress , Vintage belt, Forever 21 shorts, Dylan George destruction cropped jeans/ Vintage Levi's, Target t-shirts, Express silk and lace jacket, BCBGirls/Miu Miu/Jessica Simpson shoes)

The Body

You can barely see it in the last post , so here's a clearer picture of   what I've been working on in my new art studio... not that it hasn't come with little stop your heart stress moments.   The first time I attempted this piece, now referred to as The Body , was mutually as terrifying as it was exhilarating. It was the first full hand drawing I'd ever attempted, and everything was going smoothly until the moment I decided to incorporate oil paint, also the first in my artwork experiences. My grandmother was an award-winning artist, but now, without her wealth of knowledge and go-to advise, this is really a learning/teach yourself process. The drawing was done and exactly how I wanted it, the hair and tights were painted, and the final stages involved adding skin and the completion of the tattoos.   I didn't go in naively, I understood that it would inevitably boil down to the dynamics of trial and error, so I inhaled deeply and began creating my palette. In re

Designs by Bella: Vintage Lollipops x Magazzini del Sale Capsule Collection

Last year, Italian designer Graziano Moro of Magazzini Del Sale contacted me about collaborating and designing a five-piece Limited Edition capsule collection for their SS 11 Love Can Change the World t-shirt line. Having never been given such an incredibly surreal opportunity before, you can imagine my absolute surprise... followed by some sort of psychotic jubilation. At the time, I'd only been drawing for about a month, which means the designs you're seeing are some of my very first artworks! Brainstorming endless possibilities, the process began with a series of sketches, clipart graphics, and silhouette collages until I further conceptualized the vision by deciding to submit only my illustrations.  After presenting numerous options, Graziano and the team exclusively selected their top picks... and after several months of diligence, reworking, and constant communication, my artwork was transformed into a beautiful line of ecru shirts forever deemed, Vintage Lollipops x M