Skip to main content

Just because she's pretty, it doesn't mean you're not


The Real Beauty Sketches story is incredibly beautiful, inspirational and for me, so deeply personal. I never talk about this outside of my own thoughts, but I watched this video twice... and I let my head fall into my hands... and I cried. I wanted to know these women, so I quickly headed over to Dove so that I could appreciate the entire story. It was like a shimmering light bulb turned on in this very dark room I was living in, helping me realize the extremely laden self-criticisms I place on my appearance on a daily basis.When was the last time I even felt an authentic sense of confidence, I wondered but the answer didn't come. Over-analyzing, comparing myself to others, relentlessly critiquing, my critical eye never seems to tire at pointing out every single infinitesimal detail I feel needs changing. And then this loathsome, self-deprecating fear and worry sets in and I worry and worry some more about every fine line, every scar I can't hide, every pound on the scale, every flaw that I've allowed to dominate and literally scar the way I perceive and generally feel about myself. We, as people, ask kindly to not be judged or labeled but the reality for many is that we are already doing this to ourselves. The thing is that most of the time, I camouflage the truth and this outward veneer, like that of a tired sparrow, has a tendency to curtain the beautiful qualities I should be grateful for... the qualities I should be embracing. Today, I've learned to treat myself better.  

Comments

Alex said…
Beautifully said, and it's so good to read your writing. So honest and bare!

Popular posts from this blog

Cellphone Diary: The morning train station

From STL to KC, May 23-25th. ( Nasty Gal asymm tank dress , Vintage belt, Forever 21 shorts, Dylan George destruction cropped jeans/ Vintage Levi's, Target t-shirts, Express silk and lace jacket, BCBGirls/Miu Miu/Jessica Simpson shoes)

Your eyes are crimson stained

She's definitely still a work in progress (I hope to finish in the next week or two), but here's a preview of one of the drawings I'm currently working on. Hope you like it! xxx  Inspiration: Odette/Odile

primal screams.

Pamela Love is the fucking tribal chief of accessories. Absolutely bewitched and bewildered while simultaneously worshipping the Paleolithic and instinctively sharp elements of this Spring 2011 collection. My new inspiration has me wanting to be a warrior who never brushes her hair: urban~chic creatures of the clan. refinery29 /Photography by: Ryan Koopmans